Monday 8 November 2010

Coming full circle

So this is my first post and it is somewhat fitting that I'm coming to the end of  a very difficult cycle in my climbing life but have finally reached, what I feel, is the next level.

I created 3 indoor bouldering projects, at Fort Purbrook Portsmouth, well over a year ago...Fort Purbrook has a natural features room and this is where the problems were conjured.
Each project was about 6 moves long but each move was so intense for me (at the time) that they took weeks just to hold the holds then several more weeks to link one move into the next.
Time was passing and I felt that I needed to physically get stronger to allow my body to deal with the huge forces being applied to it which took a very long time to accumulate.

To cut a long story short I have finally completed 2 out of the 3 in the past 2 months (hard double digit boulder problems) which is a huge relief as these projects had turned into nightmares with each failure chipping away at my confidence...I have now started to siege the last project and manage to pull off the ground from the sit start and stick the first hard move which is very satisfying! I really hope this one doesn't take weeks to complete.

It never ceases to amaze me how you can be so obsessed with completing something...something that has been in the forefront of your mind for months...and when it finally gets destroyed all the pent up frustration and negativity disappears like a thief in the night. It no longer matters and you move swiftly on to the next one with out batting an eyelid.

This is the beauty of climbing and is existing on all levels from beginner to professional...a never ending love-hate relationship that keeps you coming back for more no matter how one sided the feelings may be. This drive is driven by the never ending fuel for progression that all climbers seek and struggle towards.

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment